Monday, March 15, 2010

My Screen- Free Sunday

I have begun to realize that this mind boggling, world transforming powerful tool we call the internet has become too big of a part of my day. I seem to always find reasons to pop my laptop open: I MUST look something up right now, I haven't checked my email for the third time today, something has happened on Facebook I can feel it! Craigslist, blogs!! (which are my very favorite reason to hop onto the information highway really, they are captivating! but lets face it - time consuming) I was very inspired by this blog post. I need to focus my time on the internet, have specific goals, specific to do's and not just meander. So this Sunday I took an official screen free day. I wanted to just experience a rhythm of the day without the internet. I was curious about how much I would think to go to my computer. I only thought about it a gazillion times. But I stayed off of it. And here are some things that happened!



I planted things.....




I sat.
Here...
and here...
And here. I looked up things in books on the porch (instead of on google with my eyes glued to a screen)( and of course I knitted things in these pretty little places throughout my yard...and I'll being showing those in another post.)
I found this gorgeous hand thrown clay pitcher at a yard sale for $1, you know for watering all those new plants I just potted!
I also got to make another batch of my Chamomile Facial Cleanser.....Mmmmmm...

I also finally set up a Bird Sanctuary that I've been dreaming of....pictures to come...

I also finished the day with a solo knitting date, I had the salmon with a glass of wine, thank you very much. Me and Myself then went and had some ice cream too. Being alone has never been such a luxury as it has been in the last year and a half...

I'm shocked by how much more engrossed I could become when I didn't run to the internet everytime it popped up in my head. It reminded me of when I first quit smoking and I realized what an interuption smoking was to whatever it was I was trying to accomplish.

I'm thinking of making this a weekly ritual.....

4 comments:

  1. Good idea, kiddo. . . I try to do at least one weekend day without it; it's necessary. Lately I've started playing games--now THOSE are addictive. Eeek! Look at all those beautiful, peaceful photos! Whatta great Sunday. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try this out.....thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea about taking a screen free day and WOW you were very productive! it's amazing how addicting the internet can be! There are so many inspirational blogs but I could look at them all day instead of actually doing something.

    ReplyDelete