Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shine on.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?"

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us.

And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

This quote was waiting for me in my inbox this morning. I bawled- because it touched that tender little spot called truth in the center of my being, because I have been shrinking in ways for so long and because I know that now is the time to bloom. So in the face of intimidation I am going to do the only thing that could possibly help me. I am going to pray. Pray and take small tiny action.


2 comments:

  1. I'd have to check, but I think those are Maya Angelou's words. If you haven't read "Heart of a Woman", it's a great book to put on your must read list.

    I don't think the quote comes from that book, but I read it a long, long time ago and it's still with me. Small book, fast read, but packed with little trials and triumph over them

    Love you honey--ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! It gives me shivers whenever I read it.
    Prayer has always helped me too. My spiritual belief is that God is within all of us. This thought seems to help me believe it's okay to let my light shine. And before I write my posts I say a prayer to God that I serve His purpose, even if that means touching just one person. Sometimes that one person might be me!

    ReplyDelete